#16 serve in a ministry opportunity outside my comfort zone
It all began with a little prayer.
That should have been my first clue how big this little number was going to get. That's right, one little prayer, and Jesus blew the whole thing out of the water ;)
Then came the question:
"Hey Katie, did you see that thing on Facebook about writing dialog?" said a member of our congregation's women's ministry team.
Followed by, "Do you think you could give us a sample of your writing?"
Sure.
So I did. I wrote a little psydeo- witty bit based on the Gospel of Luke's interpretation of Boy Jesus in the Temple.
Up next came a "we love it" style email and an invitation to write the script for our mega-church's women's ministry Christmas event.
I was intimidated, but stoked to try my hand at something new (I'm a write what you know kind of girl, so paraphrasing the Gospel and creating a fictional character or two was a tad overwhelming).
After that, came the big kicker. The play would now be for the entire church (as in several thousand in attendance) for a 5 performances Christmas program.
But really, no pressure.
Insert outside of my comfort zone right about here.
But wait.
Then came the revelation that I wasn't writing my own ideas at all. It was a group-inspired effort with all the dialog and niffty transition stuff on my shoulders.
Oh my.
More meetings.
Two revisions.
Tweaking.
And then came,
APPROVAL.
and
the request that I attend the first few rehearsals to help fill any gaps in the script or rewrites as needed...on the fly.
Be careful what you pray for. God is mighty and he will rock your socks off given the opportunity ;)
With the play 2.5 months away, I won't consider this 100% done until I squirm through the performances, so...
#16, consider yourself IN-PROGRESS
No comments:
Post a Comment